Top Ten Reasons Why The Sin Of Adam And Eve Was A Sexual Transgression
Here are what I consider to be the top ten reasons why the sin of Adam and Eve was a sexual transgression.
1. Trees were regarded as phallic symbols by the Canaanites and other fertility cults.
2. Figs had a long history as aphrodisiacs among agrarian societies.
3. A garden is often used as a metaphor for both the female body and the female sex organ in Middle East poetry.
4. An enclosed garden was an idyllic setting for having a romantic interlude in ancient times, much like a bedroom is today.
5. Serpents were worshipped as phallic symbols in many ancient cultures.
6. The apple was a symbol of the female sex organs, as well as being regarded as an aphrodisiac.
7. Serpents were often worshipped as fertility gods in many cultures.
8. Both Eve and Asherah, a Canaanite sex goddess, shared the title "The Mother of All Living."
9. To "know" can mean "to have sex."
10. Adam and Eve were not ashamed of their nakedness until after they had sinned.